Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend


Chase's boredom often leads to creativity.....


Of course these boys fell asleep 10 minutes before we got to my parents' house.
They were driving us nuts before that!

The kids at Weeping Rock. I have no idea what Chase is doing with his shirt!

My cute mom and dad when we were walking along the river

The kids overlooking the valley at the Weeping Rock

Our whole cute family at The Patriarchs

We went to visit my parents in Mesquite over Memorial Day weekend. It's been our tradition since we've been married to go visit my parents over the holiday weekend because it's my birthday weekend and my mom and dad make our birthdays and event! This weekend we went to Zion's National Park and took the shuttle thru the park. We did the short walk to see the view of the Patriarchs. Then we did the trail up to the Weeping Rock. That was the coolest! We tried to get some good pictures of that. It was so lush and beautiful, with water just dripping out of the sandstone and flowers and plants growing out of the stone. It's one of those reaffirming moments when you know without a doubt that there is a God and He lives. Our last stop was the River Walk where we saw lots of different micro-environments, desertscape, swamps, etc. It was really amazing. I grew up in the shadows of the Tetons in Wyoming and Idaho but I do believe that Utah is the most beautiful state!!

We had a wonderful weekend and I had a wonderful kickstart to my birthday. My parents took us to see Night at the Museum, Battle for the Smithsonian. The kids loved it and it cracked us up! It was hilarious. We made snow cones and played in the gorgeous weather. My mom is her ward's Relief Society president and she took me along with her to visit a couple sweet sisters in her ward and I was able to listen to her wonderful lesson that she taught on Sunday. All in all, it was perfect and rejuvinating. I love to spend time with my precious kids without the pressure of work and school and all the other nonsense we have to deal with. And of course, I love to spend all the time I can with my amazing husband!

Of course, we remembered those who have passed on. We play in memory of my grandfather, whom I still miss with every beat of my heart.He is the one who taught me to appreciate the beauty of the outdoors. And now Matt who's passing is still so fresh and still so painful, but he would have been the first to join the hiking in Zion's this weekend. He loved the outdoors. I know they are well and doing work for us on the other side.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful weekend!!! I loved Zion's PArk with my kids it was so beautiful. Now, are you free Thursday to celebrate that birthday of yours? Let me know I would love to take you out!!!

Teri said...

What a great trip! We haven't been to Zion in about 11 years. Need to go back SOON!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Sorry I couldn't do anything Thursday. BTW- I LOVE Chase's art on his feet. Chloe's legs looked a little like that on our last long car trip!