Thursday, November 6, 2008

It's November!!

I didn't realize that it's been so long since I've posted anything! Probably because there's nothing earth shatteringly new with the Montrose's. October was a crazy month, end of the 3rd Quarter and Doug and I both had mountains of work to get through. Thankfully, October is OVER!!

I have no real comment on Halloween. I hate the "holiday" but my kids were precious. We had Batman, a Star Wars Clone Trooper, a Bling-Bling Rapper, a Fabulous Witch and a mini-Darth Vader. They got tons of candy and we were all on a 3 day sugar high. The candy has mysteriously vanished. I guess the candy fairies finally took pity on this worn out mommy.

I'm bummed about the outcome of the election but I'm not at all surprised that Obama won. All of my opinions and fears aside, I think it's amazing that this country elected a minority to the White House. It just proves that we've come such a long way from the racial injustices of the past. I'm trying very hard to be optimistic since I can't single handedly change the outcome of the election. My super powers don't extend that far!

Another observation... it snowed. Bad news, it;s freezing! The good news, I got to break out my eclectic collection of scarves and mittens!! There's nothing I like more than accessorizing, even if I'm accessorizing a coat.

Doug's company announced their first wave of lay offs. They laid off 300 people company-wide. Only 15 people were laid off in Utah and they were given incredible severence packages. However, it's put us on edge a little. The CEO held a meeting yesterday with all the managers and basically said that the job cuts were precautionary. He addressed Doug's department, specifically saying that they were the safest because they were the most needed when products were released. We believe and trust the CEO. Henry-Schein and Dentrix take very good care of their employees. Earlier this year, the spouse of one of Doug's co-workers was killed in an accident and Henry-Schein payed for the funeral and set up trust funds for the family. We feel safe because we know Doug won't just be booted out onto the street with nothing, but it's always best to be prepared. We're also sad for the people who lost their jobs.

I'm so looking forward to Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday! Mostly because it's the only time of year that my WHOLE family gets together. All my cousins, my brother and sister, and parents and grandma and my aunt. I look forward to it all year! Plus, it's the introduction to the Christmas season.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I love that family photo of you guys. Your kids did look so cute on Halloween. I love the holidays too. I love the cold and it's just my most favorite time of the year!

Nancy Mackey said...

give those faries my address!!

Neika Boulter said...

Oh so scary to worry about lay offs! But it really sounds like you will be okay! I wish we lived closer, I'd love to see you and your family! We miss you all!