Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Happiness is a Choice

I tell this to my kids all the time. Happiness is a choice. We choose to be happy. People don't MAKE us happy. No one can take our happiness away or give it back to us. I have to remember that. I find myself in circumstances that I've created and it's sometimes hard to get up in the morning and often hard to even breathe in and out. But I have to remember that I made choices and I can't have it all. So just like I have to choose to put one foot in front of the other when I don't want to, I have to make the choice to be happy. All the small decisions I make for myself and for my children and for our future have to reflect my choice to be happy. Like Leona Lewis sings in her song, "so what if it hurts me, so what if I break down... I just wanna be happy..."

Today I am grateful for the ability to make that choice. That I can see past these obstacles and know that even though I've made huge mistakes that I still deserve to be happy.

One last thing... to all those people I may have hurt, either knowingly or unknowingly... I'm so sorry. I am not a person who seeks to offend. Recently I really don't know which end is up so I may do or say things without intending to. I have a quote I display in my living room that I try to implement in everything I do when I'm dealing with others. "Love me when I least deserve it because that's when I need it the most." I'm hoping others will extend this to me.

5 comments:

Nancy Mackey said...

love ya!(even though you DO deserve it)

Mindy said...

We all need to feel loved. I love you and if you need anything, please know I would be more than happy to help. Choosing to be happy is a wonderful choice, but just hard to implement sometimes. Good attitude!!!

Reginas creations! said...

Ya know I just have to say Ditto to all the above. You sum up so many feelings that so many of us feel and nice to share that we are not alone and we DO deserve to be happy. Thank you! big hugs! I love that saying in your livingroom and I need to scrap it and frame it to put in mine!!

Teri said...

I love that quote. I need to remember to apply it to the people I love more often
Hope you know how much you are loved!

Laurie said...

I've never thought about happiness as something that can't be given to us or taken away. Thanks for sharing this!