Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Another Student of the Week

Mckenzie is finally Student of the Week. This is her first time and she is so excited! I am excited for her. Her request for a celebration is to be checked out of school and taken to Wal-mart to buy a new pillow..... Ok, I can do that. She cracks me up.

The other day, we thought we'd lost her. She didn't come home after school with her brothers, so for about 45 minutes, Doug and I panicked and I cried and almost became hysterical. I was putting juice away in the fridge when a paper from Primary caught my eye and I realized that she was at Activity Days. It wasn't on my calendar because I forgot to make a note of it and the adviser had sent me an email, which I hadn't received, instead of calling. It was a misunderstanding, but in those horrifying 45 minutes, I lived my life without my precious red-head and let me tell you, it was empty. When she came home and her brothers told her how worried I'd been, she told me that she knew that even if she had been stolen that she knew I'd find her no matter what. At least she has faith that I'd move mountains to find her.

I've said before that Mckenzie is like a little mother. Let me relate a little story. One night, she and I were alone and watching The Princess Bride. We were talking about her dad and I told her how sorry I was that we were all in this situation and I hoped that she would forgive me someday. She put her little hand on my face and said, "It's ok, Mommy. I just want you to feel better. I love you." This is an example of how precious she is, not an example of what a good mother I am. Another example is that she told a friend of mine that she sleeps with me so I don't cry at night, not because she's scared. Again, an example of how sweet she is, not of what a good mother I am because I would never think to put that kind of emotional responsibility on my child. She wants to take care of everyone. She came to me that way. She's been that way from the time she was tiny, or tinier than she is now.

Anyway, that's my daughter. The precious child who wants to buy a new pillow to celebrate being student of the week! Gotta love her!!

6 comments:

Abby said...

What an angel you have in your midst. I miss you! Call me...

Teri said...

She is an awesome girl! We still need to do breakfast!

Joy ~ Kurt said...

I love it! I LOVE pillows too! :) lol

Krista said...

I stared at your comment for 10 minutes. I guess I knew that you were a birth mom (you know how rumors go at the BarT5 ;) but I had never really thought about it since becoming personally involved with adoption myself.
All I can say is... We both know that if you could do THAT you can do ANYTHING!

Cyndi said...

Oh all of that drama was my fault! I'm so sorry!! I really should have called but it was just one of those days that was crazy. I will make sure to have her call you when she gets to my house. She told me that she was student of the week. Way to go Mckenzie! She's such a cute girl. I'm excited to get to know her better.

Laurie said...

She is so sweet! I love that wanted a new pillow! Congrats on student of the week!