Saturday, January 30, 2010

Update/Correction.... Rushing to Judgement

Although I do not take back some of the things I wrote in an earlier post regarding the safety of our children, I do feel I need to take back some of the things I said about who I thought were the perpetrators in hurting my daughter. After some harsh words, said by me, and hurt feelings on both sides, these people came to my home with the sweetest apology and explained their side of the story. They apologized for hurting my daughter's feelings and for offending my son (however, he did have a part to play in that one.... dang kid) and they left me with a sweet letter and even a gift.

I want to apologize to them, here on my blog, even though I've done it in person, for the nasty things I said to them. Many people who know me are aware of the big mother bear, incredible hulk, monster mother thing that happens to me when something negative happens to one of my kids. You can call it overprotective, My sons call is over-sensitive, I call it natural. But I should learn to stop and think before I let my mouth take control and ask questions before I accuse. So, to these people, I am so sorry.

I was astounded that these people would come to be with an apology even after the things I'd said to them (which were not nice) and how I'd basically accosted them in written form on my blog. They were willing to forgive me and have since served me. It has softened my ordinarily tough heart. I also learned that my son had done something to offend their son, which was something that should have been taken care of long before this misunderstanding erupted.

I do stand by some of the things I said in my earlier post. We do need to make sure we are nurturing each others children. We need to love them and aid in their development. We certainly don't want to be the people children look back on in their adult years who derailed them in some way in their goals.

This experience has also led me to think about how quick we are to judge. So since all this mess has taken place, I've made it a goal to be more open minded and open hearted towards others, no matter what. I've always felt that I'm pretty accepting of people, but it's the "letting them in" part that I'm not that good at. So after I started school, I started to talk to more people instead of judging them on their outward appearance, as we all tend to do. I have made some amazing acquaintances and have had some incredible experiences. I don't think I'd have been open to any of them if I hadn't had this previous experience.

I've also noticed how closed minded most of us are. As Christians we claim to be tolerant and loving, but we're not. We steer clear of that which is different or unusual or whatever makes us uncomfortable. Believe me, if this explains you, you are missing out! You don't have to let go of your iron rod to talk to someone different or to befriend someone different or even to love someone different. My goodness, how else do you expect to do missionary work if everyone you befriend is the same as you?

That's my little soap box for today.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I am so glad that a hard situation was turned into something so loving and beautiful for you and your family. Love ya!

Abby said...

I'm impressed at your ability to be able to look at a situation that brought out your mother bear in a different light. And I quite agree with the concept of not judging people on their outward appearance...it can be so misleading.

Laurie said...

I'm happy to hear this situation turned out for the better. Thanks for sharing. It is a good reminder to not judge, which I am guilty of too.